Egerton University Baringo Campus
Egerton University Baringo Campus – Details:
Egerton University Baringo Campus here is detailed information about the Baringo Campus based at Njoro and houses the faculties of Agriculture, Arts & Social Sciences, Education & Community Studies, Engineering & Technology, Environment & Resources Development, Science & Veterinary Medicine.
About Egerton University
Egerton University is the oldest institution of higher learning in Kenya. It was founded as a Farm School in 1939 by Lord Maurice Egerton of Tatton, a British national who settled in Kenya in the 1920s. In 1950, the School was upgraded to an Agricultural College offering diploma programmes. The Egerton Agricultural College Ordinance was enacted in 1955. In 1979, the Government of Kenya and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded a major expansion of the institution. In 1986, Egerton Agricultural College was gazetted as a constituent college of the University of Nairobi. The following year, 1987, marked the establishment of Egerton University through an Act of Parliament
Egerton University has three (3) Campuses and one Campus College. The main Campus is based in Njoro and houses the Faculties of Agriculture, Arts and Social Sciences, Education and Community Studies, Engineering and Technology, Environment and Resources Development, Science and Veterinary Medicine and Surgery. The Njoro Campus also houses the Board of Undergraduate Studies and Field Attachment, and the Board of Postgraduate Studies. The other Campus is the Nairobi City Campus, offering programmes from the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Commerce, and Education and Community Studies. It also hosts the African Centre for Distance Education (ACDE). The third Campus, Kenyatta Campus, is located five (5) kilometres from Njoro Campus and is planned to house the Open and Distance Learning (CODL) programmes which are currently based at Njoro Campus. The only University’s Campus College, Nakuru Town Campus College, hosts the Faculties of Commerce and Health Sciences. The University currently has nine (9) faculties and fifty-one (51) academic departments offering a wide range of programmes at the diploma, undergraduate, and postgraduate levels. All of them are open to both Government-sponsored and self-sponsored students. The University also offers courses in computer literacy, computer repairs and maintenance, as well as accounting and bridging courses.